[opendtv] Re: New Mobile HDTV Device Allows Consumers to Receive High-Definition and Digital Cable Broadcasts on Laptops

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 01:02:25 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I suspect that you mean that they don't promote HDTV separate from their analog
service, and excluding callsigns.  I'm not sure that they need to.  Promoting
"Lost" on Wednesday on channel 7 is promoting the digital signal, since it also
comes up on channel 7-0 as well as 7-1.

I also suspect that you are excluding the "in HD where available" that comes up
at the start of most network shows, and even (starting this season) in similar
form on Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.   CBS seems to promote HD/5.1 on their
network shows.  I'm not so sure that one can reliably get 5.1 via cable pickup
from broadcast, but maybe cable has finally dealt with those issues and that
isn't a broadcast-centric promo.

The stations will certainly be promoting HD when, as other markets are doing,
they start to deploy HD news coverage.  (That gives them something to actually
promote locally, as opposed to upconverted content, which maybe they don't want
to promote because it's not "the real thing."

Tribune's KSWB promotes "The Tube" on channel 69.2 (or 5.2, I can't remember
which and they have used both as permitted by their ownership of KTLA 5 in an
adjacent market.)  Nobody here in San Diego has local content in HD to speak
of, but work has begun here and there on the long-lead time items.

A correspondent told me that when he was visiting NYC on the way to the
vineyard a few months ago, WNBC was promoting NBC Weather Plus on Comcast
cable, but not over the air access to NWP.  The former I can understand, as I
suspect it's part of a negotiated deal.  The latter is troubling.  Maybe they
are waiting for someone to pay them to promote their own sub-channel?