[opendtv] Re: New Mobile HDTV Device Allows Consumers to Receive High-Definition and Digital Cable Broadcasts on Laptops

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken (Webmail)" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:53:19 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, it was I that reported that fact. And, Yes, it could be a problem if the
issue of "wireless" is not addressed as it really is, and in keeping with new
opportunities to reach eyeballs. New opportunities are places where cable and
satellite are not capable of reaching, but a wireless service can. There are
lots of ways to address issues and problems. Not all ways can come to a
successful conclusion...

It just means be smart in understanding the audiance you are trying to reach,
and keep your ducks in a row. Knock off what you can and what you must, let
the others remain standing.

Enuf of the metaphors...every problem has a solution. VBG... Look at ATSC :-)
(that's a VERY BIG GRIN)! Only problem is staying alive long enuf for the
solution to work!

Mark
still standing, still fighting, still making headway...

Quoting Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Mark -
>
> I thought someone reported on this list that if an OTA station started
> promoting OTA then the cable companies would threaten to cancel
> advertising, or maybe otherwise be less cooperative.
>
> Will that be a problem?
>
> - Tom
>
> Mark Aitken wrote:
> > THIS IS THE PROBLEM (to a LARGE degree)! Mention TV to almost anyone,
> > and it is:
> >
> >    1. cable
> >    2. satellite
> >    3. Internet
> >    4. DVD
> >    5. HDTV
> >    6. all of the above..
> >
> > ...but it is rarely "OTA", and perhaps most importantly "FREE".
> >
> > I am in the process of preparing a regular segment for our stations
> > (hope it flies!). I have yet to get to the point of what it should be
> > called, but I am leaning towards 'Antenna TV- Back to the Future'.
> > People are AMAZED that one can (still) get television signals
> seemingly
> > out of nowhere. Then tell them that you can get HDTV (out of nowhere)
> > and they are dumbfounded (after they get back some of their senses,
> they
> > usually want to know more...).
> >
> > This industry (ALL OF IT) needs to change the understanding of the
> > everyone, if it is to survive (and I would add, flourish!).
> >
> > Mark
> > OTA Evangelist
> >

> > Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> >
> >>This is the problem, as far as I can tell. A strangely ignorant
> public,
> >>whose ignorance can only be assumed to be fostered by the industry
> >>itself. Retailers, CE vendors, even broadcasters. How else to explain
> >>the above quote?
> >>

> >>Bert
> >>
> > --
> >><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>   ><>
> > Regards,
> > Mark A. Aitken
> > Director, Advanced Technology
> > <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
> > ===================================
> > Sinclair Broadcast Group
> > 10706 Beaver Dam Road
> > Hunt Valley, MD 21030
> > ===================================
> >
> > "As far as the laws of mathematics
> > refer to reality, they are not certain,
> > and as far as they are certain,
> > they do not refer to reality."
> >
> > ------- Albert Einstein-------
> >
> > ===================================
> >
> > "I like nonsense?it wakes up the brain cells.
> > Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
> > It's a way of looking at life through the
> > wrong end of a telescope...and that enables
> > you to laugh at all of life's realities."
> >
> > ~ ~ Theodor S. Geisel, a.k.a. "Dr. Seuss" ~ ~

> [...]

Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
maitken@xxxxxxxxxx