[opendtv] Re: Interesting Point

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:15:31 -0700

"What got cable going in the first place was all of the gaps in NTSC
coverage and multipath. CATV brought broadcast signals to many communities
where NTSC signals were either terrain blocked or simply too weak to
provide decent reception." --Craig Birkmaier

"And cable caught on quickly even in areas where NTSC could be reliably
received.  I lived in Portland, Oregon when cable started to be installed
in certain parts of the city (around 1980 if I'm not mistaken)" --Dan
Grimes

"That would be about 32 years after cable started, five years after
nationwide satellite delivery of programming, and the year CNN started.  A
LOT happened to cable after 1948." --Mark Schubin (hopefully the correct
spelling this time)

Perhaps my sentence structure was poor.  What I meant was, that when CATV
was installed in areas that had decent NTSC reception, like Portland in
1980, CATV was quickly accepted because of the additional programming.  Not
that CATV was started in 1980.  I was really trying to imply that reception
is not the only reason for CATV systems; programming is a big one.  I'm
sure that I really didn't need to add that.

CNN is what the adults watched.  I was a teenager at the time and "I
want(ed) my MTV!"  But naturally, my folks said no way they were going to
pay that kind of money for a few additional channels.  And wht pay for HBO
when you can get videos at the video store?  Perhaps it is my parents fault
I refuse to pay for CATV!  Not really, I know if I received SPEED network,
I would become a vegetable in front of the TV.  So I don't pay so that I
have the discipline to do more productive things!  And then there is the
part about paying for commercials! But I ramble...

Dan Grimes