[opendtv] Re: Interesting Point

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:52:57 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Given today's improved diversity reception DVB-T receivers,
> so would I.

First, anyone can implement diversity reception.

Second, this does not affect the max range coverage. It
improves coverage when obstacles exist.

As far as I'm concerned, tests done when 8-VSB receivers
were still using real-only equalizers and crappy ones at
that are OBE. I'd genuinely be interested in new tests,
including also indoor reception at long range. Simply
because if 8-VSB is not demonstrably better than OFDM at
this, then there's no excuse to keep it. If it is better,
then the real tradeoffs in coverage would be very
interesting to see.

I'd like more truth and less religious evangelism, in short.