[opendtv] Re: Interesting Point

  • From: "Tony Neece" <tonyneece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:46:59 -0700

Egad!  So much of these discussions are just so much anti-establishment
fluff!  NTSC never worked well for indoor reception either.  That is =
what
got the cable industry going in the first place!  OFDM and COFDM are not
without drawbacks as well.  For one, for DTT COFDM requires considerably
more transmitter power to cover the same area as ATSC.  Also with the =
new
ATSC decoder chips with much improved multi-path rejection, there is =
little
or no advantage to COFDM.  There are many homes that can't get good
reception no matter what technology is used, just as there are many =
homes
that are not passed by cable or are blocked by trees or terrain from
satellite reception. =20

Back in the early days of color some people thought it was really cool =
deride NTSC because it wasn't PAL.  I got to look at a lot of PAL and =
saw it
wasn't really any better.  Like so many things it had advantages and
disadvantages.

It is just silly to badmouth something that is working, here to =
stay,while
lauding pie-in-the sky vaporware.

Oh my I just can't wait to have the experience of watching movie =
trailers
and advertising on my cell phone while walking with my sweetie on the =
beach
at sunset!!!  Just because technology makes something possible doesn't =
mean
we are obligated to enslave ourselves to it.

The guys who designed ATSC are brilliant men, not shills to some =
corporate
agenda.  I am sure they do not waste their minds fretting over the =
various
ways the word "broadcasting" can be defined!!

Regards,=20
Tony