[opendtv] Re: Interesting Point

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:10:12 +0100 (GMT+01:00)

I would beg to differ a bit, having first been hooked to cable in 1967.  Most
of the change in cable occured after, and as a result of, Westar being
launched, and HBO deciding to put their up to then east coast only microwave
signals on the birdl.

Before that, all pay TV (anyone remember Optical System's Corporations "Channel
100" circa 1973?) was bicycled and about as exotic as cable got was to carry
distant signals via terrestrial microwave -- and local microwave distribution
using aml circuits.

Two other key dates: the date that the House started providing tv coverage, and
CSPAN carried it, and twenty five years ago when CNN launched.  Since then,
it's been downhill; derivative programming, repeats and infomercials.