[opendtv] Re: Interesting Point

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:47:03 -0700

At 11:46 AM -0700 10/26/05, Tony Neece wrote:
Egad!  So much of these discussions are just so much anti-establishment
fluff!  NTSC never worked well for indoor reception either.  That is what
got the cable industry going in the first place!

"What got cable going in the first place was all of the gaps in NTSC
coverage and multipath. CATV brought broadcast signals to many communities
where NTSC signals were either terrain blocked or simply too weak to
provide decent reception." --Craig Birkmaier

And cable caught on quickly even in areas where NTSC could be reliably
received.  I lived in Portland, Oregon when cable started to be installed
in certain parts of the city (around 1980 if I'm not mistaken).  We lived
on the fringe of the suburbs and received NTSC very well.  While only
providing a few additional channels besides the major networks at the time,
when I went to a home with cable and the TV was on, it was always
displaying the alternative programming like MTV.  I think alternative
programming had a lot to do with it's success in those areas.  But my
observations are anecdotal and not based on research so perhaps I am
incorrect.

Dan Grimes