[opendtv] Re: Interesting Point

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:41:19 -0400

John Willkie wrote:

>dream on.  XM and sirius and Media Flo have no content that I'm interested in
>paying for.

It does seem like dreaming. By your definition a DVB service does not
exist in your area within 1000 miles if you are not interested in it or
at least not interested in paying for it.

>As for your non-definition of broadcasting: mine is slightly paraphrased from
>FCC rulings.  Yours comes from third-hand sources.  Why didn't you offer an
>engineering definition?  (mine is paraphrased from a legal definition, but
>suffices as an engineering definition.

Strange that an engineering definition would be qualified by whether
someone pays for a service or not. To me, having come to the party late,
broadcasting includes satellite, radio, TV or even a ham radio operator
and is not conditioned by the FCC. I would accept that the legal term
"broadcasting" created by the FCC if used in the industry such as here
could mean only in the free and clear but it does not mean that in a
general sense and the public sure would not understand that meaning IMO.
A couple of us here did not take it to mean that anyway.

Bob Miller