[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:10:43 -0700

point taken.

But, isn't "try it for yourself" a better option.

Here's what I do when asked the same question.  First: are you a cable
subscriber?  If so, you can get HDTV from your cable company.  If you don't
want to be a continuous cable victim, you should try OTA DTV.  If they're
game, I go into issues of reception.  If they are terrain blocked from many
or most of the local TV stations, I might say "try it" (minimal terrain
blocking) or "you probably can't get it.

If they live near Mt Soledad (two DTV transmitters); I say they are in a
high-RF environment, and they might have reception problems.  I note that
the issue with DTV is too much RF; that in many cases were analog TV is
marginal, DTV comes through just fine, but where RF is high, "multipath" (I
seldom use that term with non-technical folks) might make it difficult to
receive one or more signals.

I also mention HDTV via satellite, for people who want all their sports (or
HBO or Discovery) in HDTV.

No fear, advised uncertainty, and appropriate doubt.

I mention the advantage of staying on cable: no NEED to upgrade your
receiver, then mention the advantage of upgrading the receiver/STB.