[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:28:43 -0400

I agree with John. However, good quality SD converts well and since most
displays are not true HD, the results are very good.

What I believe the gist of the complaint is the often poor NTSC stuff which is
delivered via terrestrial DTV. I contend that broadcast quality is dropping.
When NTSC delivery only was aavailable and before digital video manipulation
devices became prevalent, analog parameters were clearly measured, monitored
and corrected.

Today, video has become 'easy' and unimportant: in a broadcast station it is
common place to just plug the equipment together without a thought. Video is
NTSC decoded and re-encoded again and again and concatenated digital
compression is the order of the day.

Take a Hollywood DVD and compare it with most off-air. The results are really
most dramatic and it need not be so!

Terry Harvey