[opendtv] First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:26:21 -0700

I'm a little disappointed.  I just installed a PCI Tuner card and can
finally look at ATSC HD.  But it does not look as good as the analog
picture I am receiving.  Sure, there are more picture elements, but the
compression artifacts are nasty.  My analog picture is so sharp and clear
compared to the HD material.

Now some of the HD material on ATSC does in fact look good, but my point is
this:  if (or should I say when) the AVC or VC-1 compression goes into
ATSC, then maybe more bits can go into the quality instead of trying to get
the same quality with a dramatic bit rate reduction.  I would like to see
the bit rates reduce but attain a higher level of picture quality.

Of course, why am I even talking about this when there are no AVC or VC-1
receivers.  If we are to embrace newer codecs, we need to find a way to
quickly replace receivers/decoders without breaking the consumer's bank.

Dan Grimes
UNLV-TV