[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:31:25 -0700

We all know that the processing power is out there to decode HD in all
current forms of encoding (even the proposed ones).  And available hardware
can certainly handle future ones, even at higher resolutions.  We all know
that hardware is faster, software is more flexible and upgradeable.  We all
know that money is a big issue to the consumer.

BUT-  Would you not be willing to pay more for a piece of equipment that
can be upgradable?  Would you pay more for something knowing that it will
be able to handle future requirements?

I believe most would.  I base this on the computer world.  Most people I
know pay a little more to get a faster processor, more memory, and the
ability to upgrade the components.  If a receiver out there had the same
potential, I believe people would be willing to pay for it.

I think that the personal computer will eventually take over our media
centers for that very reason.  I can tune, decode, record, play back, watch
various media, and even download media from the internet, all from the PC
I already own.  There are some clear reasons that this solution is not for
everyone, but I believe those issues will be worked out.

 Dan Grimes