[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: dgrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:50:29 -0700

Using a MyHD MDP-100 PCI card, 100% lock (using a good Winegard antenna on
my roof), viewing it on my 19" LCD video monitor.  The monitor can't handle
1080p, but I did get a 1280x786 mode to work the best, as well as a 720p
mode.  It is a 4:3 monitor so I must letterbox/scale.  The resolution was
really nice, and I liked the baseball game on FOX compared to it's SD
broadcast, but the PBS stuff had lots of artifacts and other channels ran
SD in an HD format (the scaled HD looked much worse than the NTSC SD).

Mainly, the white and black areas were not smooth in their variations, the
colors had blocky changes, and edges would "dance".  Transitions such as
dissolves would turn to blocks.  And the noise in some of the original film
images did not do nice things to compression!

Dan