[opendtv] Re: FCC seventh further notice of proposed rule making

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:58:15 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> But the real question in the future may be "Who needs
> Broadband?".  If the answer to that is going to be
> "everybody" then you might have to explain how you can
> get broadband without having some sort of TV substitute
> anyway.
>
> Remember, as currently bundled on Comcast broadband I
> actually pay a negative amount for lifeline cable,
> including the HD OTA channels.  It is currently bundled
> to be cheaper than 'free'.

I agree completely in principle. As an intellectual exercise, you have
to wonder why you need multiple pipes for these wideband services.
Eventually, the IP pipe itself could provide all you need. I'm with you
there, on a purely technical plane.

Interestingly enough, the same person who is all excited about his newly
discovered DTT reception got FiOS service from Verizon for his Internet
broadband. Except he did not want to pay for, and be beholden to, the
FiOS IPTV for his TV channels. The price structure is not as you
describe with Verizon, apparently. In your case, I'd say Comcast has
made it so attractive that people can't help but "get hooked." Then the
rates will creep up and up because they have you by the ... .

OTA TV, as long as it's "free," is still the only way to receive TV that
is intrinsically competitive. You get multiple networks over the same
publically owned medium. So, while you are going to be beholden to a
single private company for your two-way comm link, you can avoid
becoming dependent on a single provider for the one-way comms. Not
technically mandatory, I agree.

Whenever I hear talk about eliminating OTA TV, it sounds like people
calling for elimination of the public beaches in California (for
example). Who could possibly want that, unless for his own personal
gain? It doesn't make sense otherwise. If politicians call for
elimination of OTA TV, my immediate reaction is that the guy is on the
take.