[opendtv] Re: FCC seventh further notice of proposed rule making

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 10:32:32 -0400

On 10/25/06, Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:

>In the UK they have sold 15 million receivers even though they are
>operating at an average of 3 kW of power per station

I'm sure there are people who can give you some authoritative explanations
as to the relevance or even veracity of this comment you make. But just for
grins, I went and searched out a few basic facts, which by the way took very
little time (which means you could have done this yourself). This is what I
found, specifically about Crystal Palace. Just trying to end the
misinformation stream.

The ERP of their UHF channels is 20 KW per DTT multiplex, not 3 KW. I know
you said "average" without specifying which transmitters, but maybe that was
just to give the wrong impression. And this site

As usual you have to suggest I am giving out misinformation. Yes I
could do the Goggle searches and I have done them. It is not
misinformation to say that the average power level of UK digital
transmitters is 3 kW because it is true. They have ONLY 80 transmit
sites with some six 8 MHz channels per site or some 480 transmitters.
Of these only 24 or so are at 20 kW. I believe all of these are on
high UHF channels where power is a major factor. In the US such power
levels would be laughed at. And that is the highest power levels in
the UK. To make 3 kW the average they have to have a lot of sub 100
Watts. Can you imaging the wails of laughter 20 Watt and 6 Watt ERP
transmission would engender in the US. They seem to have them in the
UK.

And I don't suggest anyone us their antiquated 2K DVB-T system. Yet
they have sold 15 million receivers and it is still accelerating. They
sell more each quarter than they did last year.

They have a decent modulation that works for most of those 15 million
receivers and they have a decent content offering. And therefor they
are the most successful DTV transition in the world. What if we had a
great modulation and a great offering of content in the US? What if we
had had it for the last six years?
http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TQ339712

also provides a rough coverage contour. To get an idea of range scale, the
distance between Crystal Palace and Croydon is about 1 mile as the crow
flies. I take it, this coverage is achieved using 16-QAM. So, no magic going
on here, nor in Berlin, where I pointed out the same basic facts.

Nor in Rome, where the minute they reduced power for all but the RAI
channels, even within a few miles LOS of the transmitters, indoor reception
was lost.

The magic is that in both these countries digital OTA is a success. It
is a failure here.

Bob Miller
flyback1 wrote:

>Can you say "Lets KILL OTA Broadcasting?"

Seems like backwards thinking to me. Can you say, "Who needs pay TV when OTA
works just fine, and usually transmits far superior quality than digiital
cable and DBS?"