[opendtv] Re: FCC seventh further notice of proposed rule making

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:04:31 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> The more happy campers like this the more pain will be
> felt by those who can't get decent reception.

Yes, Bob, this is the way digital RF works. If you read actual accounts
of real users in Australia and the UK, if you read the guidelines for
system installations, you'll see that this applies to all.

In the UK, they had the option of dialing back the bit rate, I agree.
But that's not their final solution. Now they're talking SFNs to regain
the lost spectral efficiency. And implementing SFNs well is no picnic
for anyone, in spite of the clueless propaganda. No, you can't just
scatter small sticks left and right.

Olivier told us about the lack of range of French DTT when HDTV is
transmitted. Same sort of thing. Everyone has to optimize their network
designs. And everyone is developing better and better receivers, as
well.