[opendtv] Re: FCC seventh further notice of proposed rule making

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:41:06 -0400

The pain in the US is driving OTA to extinction. In the UK they have
sold 15 million receivers even though they are operating at an average
of 3 kW of power per station and are using a 2K COFDM system that
cannot support SFNs.

There is a difference. When you read of problems in the UK it is from
a family of 15 million. In the US dare we say a number??? How many are
actually using OTA DTV in the US? Why isn't anyone bragging about it?

The fact is the number of complaints about 8-VSB is declining. They
hardly talk about it on AVSForum anymore. Early adopters, for the most
part, have adopted cable or satellite.

The complaints in the US about OTA may soon approach absolute zero. Happy days!

Bob Miller

On 10/25/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

> The more happy campers like this the more pain will be
> felt by those who can't get decent reception.

Yes, Bob, this is the way digital RF works. If you read actual accounts
of real users in Australia and the UK, if you read the guidelines for
system installations, you'll see that this applies to all.

In the UK, they had the option of dialing back the bit rate, I agree.
But that's not their final solution. Now they're talking SFNs to regain
the lost spectral efficiency. And implementing SFNs well is no picnic
for anyone, in spite of the clueless propaganda. No, you can't just
scatter small sticks left and right.

Olivier told us about the lack of range of French DTT when HDTV is
transmitted. Same sort of thing. Everyone has to optimize their network
designs. And everyone is developing better and better receivers, as
well.