[opendtv] Re: News: Disney Doesn't Seek Ownership Rule Revise

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:26:18 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Looks like the times are changing and the value of Free To Air
> Television may finally be starting to plunge...

Could be, except that you've been predicting this forever, it seems.

> First NBC acknowledged that Network news is a dinosaur as is
> restructuring, eliminating 700 jobs.

Yes, I did notice that NBC is going down-market. NBC is going to more
reality shows, because they are cheaper to produce. We've seen these
cycles happening in other industries too. Often this leads to total
failure and bankrupcy, other times they struggle to turn it around.

> Now Disney is no longer interested in acquiring more TV stations,
> and just told the FCC that they may face a future where they need
> to provide incentives to get people to operate OTA stations.

Other networks, for example CBS and Fox, are instead getting stronger,
seems to me. Producing good new shows on a steady basis. Fox has the
misfortune of interrupting its fall season for way, way too long MLB
sports programming. Which causes people to get hooked on other shows and
drop the Fox ones. They should wise up and make good use of their DTT
multicasts, allowing people to record one while watching baseball, if
they are so inclined.

> I guess the Networks are more concerned now with figuring out how
> to get the laggards like you to pay for Free TV like the rest of
> us.

So, tell me this. If you were addicted to smoking, would you be trying
to get me addicted too? That's what it sounds like, sorry. ;)