[opendtv] Re: FCC seventh further notice of proposed rule making

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:52:30 -0700

Bert wrote:
>I might be missing some boat or other here, but I thought that in the
past, the major networks may have wanted to be free of the affiliate
structure, but not of OTA altogether.

        Agree. The commercial network O&O (owned and operated) stations are not
considered affiliates for purposes of this discussion. They will continue be
operated as long as the are profitable. The networks can protected their
investments by requiring that cable and satellite systems obtain network
programming thru those stations, in their O&O markets - if they choose.
The non-owned affiliate stations are another mater; their relationship with
the networks has deteriorated significantly over the past eight years. They
once were paid compensation for carrying the network but they pay the
compensation to the network, in one form or another.
Clearly they have that right but we shouldn't fail to recognize the pattern.