[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:41:30 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The CE industry acted to protect legacy equipment and to limit
> evolution to what they had already designed.

Not true. The various 480p, 720p, and 1080p options do nothing to "protect
legacy." On the other hand, the 480i and 1080i did "protect legacy," which any
engineer worth his degree has to worry about.

> If you doubt this, please show me the table of formats that are
> permitted for the distribution of video via the Internet.

You show me a VGA 640 X 480 computer that would work acceptably in the vast
majority of today's web sites.

More to the point, computers and TVs are not the same thing. Just as this
administration finds it hard to listen to what the people are saying, those
wanting "no standards" seem unable to understand the widespread dislike for
black bars in TV screens.

TVs are not computers. People don't want black bars, and they also don't want
extraneous garbage on the sides of the screen, when watching either movies or
TV shows. Extraneous garbage might be okay when browsing the web, but that is a
completely different experience. Think about it. How successful would you be,
scrolling left and right and up and down, while watching streaming media
content? Easy enough to do when browsing still graphics or text, but not for
streaming media. Which leads to black bars or to distortion.

The end result is so obvious. The very vast majority, if not all, new TV
screens is 16:9. And the very vast majority of these are displaying distorted
4:3 material. Because people don't want black bars and don't want to crop.

It would have been far better to set a default standard, like 16:9, and then
provide the TV industry with a goal to shoot for, as more and more consumers
buy new sets. As it is, the change isn't happening fast enough.

So, it was a big mistake to remove the guidelines entirely.