[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 19:16:55 -0500

Hardly the case today, Cliff.  QAM modulators are very inexpensive for head
ends, and a dedicated one on a chip working on a fixed RF channel should be cheaper than an ATSC
equalizing demod chip.

Do you think that a cable plant cost $50,000 per digital channel just for
modulators?  Yikes!

Here's a QAM modulator on a PCI card: http://www.advanceddigital.ca/products/dvb/tvb590.php

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Unless things have radically changed in the 4 years since the TV lab I
worked in required $50 Grand worth of rackmount equipment to make an
unencrypted QAM stream, I don't see how it is either financially or
physically possible to put QAM 'modulaters' in millions of set top boxes
and lease or sell them at a competitive price to consumers.

I would be very interested in knowing if this has in fact happened.

Cliff