[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 20:39:16 -0500

You just told us that the FCC should have done more to create an MVPD STB standard:

No. I said they were given the authority to unbundle cable STBs and totally dropped the ball.

Remember, I'm the one who said "Let the marketplace decide."

The FCC SHOULD NOT have adopted the ATSC standard, much less mandate that ATSC tuners be integrated into new TVs. Broadcasters should have been given the flexibility to chose an appropriate modulation standard and the marketplace would have responded with appropriate solutions.

But this is all history now. We are saddled with a DTV standard that is already irrelevant in every meaningful respect, EXCEPT that it gives broadcasters the right to demand retransmission consent payments, and the ATSC rights holders a nice paycheck.

Riddle me this, then. If the FCC doesn't establish the standards for this industry, do you really think that the uncontrolled media companies will do this, because you asked them nicely? We already know how the MVPDs loved the idea of a standard interface, Craig.

It is not the role of the FCC to establish standards for cable systems , just as it was not their role to set standards for telephones. What was (is) needed is to demand that the cable systems publish the requirements to develop products that will work with their systems and allow any thrd party product to be attached to their networks. Ironically, this IS happening with cable modems thanks to the published DOCIS standards.

You can't have it both ways. Service provider companies on their own, proprietary solutions is what you can expect. As you have already said, "they like it this way."

Yes, they have been allowed to control their monopolies. The FCC continues to allow this to happen despite the fact that they have the legislative authority to open up this market.