[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 20:50:17 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> What was (is) needed is to demand that the cable systems publish
> the requirements to develop products that will work with their
> systems and allow any thrd party product to be attached to their
> networks. Ironically, this IS happening with cable modems thanks
> to the published DOCIS standards.

The common approach to any of these industrial standards is that the industries
themselves participate actively in their development, but then the government,
usually, or some other entity with clout, has to enforce the standard.

The FCC isn't expected to actually DEVELOP these standards, just as they did
not DEVELOP ATSC. They're involved in the process, and then they mandate, after
the final decision has been made.

If you leave this up to the industries entirely, the results are what we have
seen. And may see more of in the future.

DOCSIS, which by the way could just as easily have been built over a cable
version of ATSC, is certainly not a given over time. As of today, cable systems
use it for broadband. Their STBs still have to be proprietary for the regular
non-IP TV channels anyway. But if enough people cut their cable TV service,
there's no reason to expect cable systems to rely on standard cable modems (for
broadband only) that people can buy and pay for only once. Why would cablecos
voluntarily lose that STB rental revenue? I don't believe that for a minute.
They've gotten used to this way of operating.

Some entity with clout has to enforce this sort of operation, if that's what
you really want.