[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:45:21 -0500

There is nothing that would prohibit stations from carrying ATSC streams with video encoded with the latest and greatest codec, as long as at least one stream remained NTSC quality MPEG-2.

A service like that attempted by USDTV (which used H.264 for its pay content, did it not?) could take advantage of the aggregated bandwidth of all the stations in a market, and also be a source for converter boxes.

My question has always been, how does Freeview get away with it? How do they offer, FOTA, channels that demand $1 per sub from American cable providers? My pat answer has always been that they are indirectly subsidized by the UK's TV License Fee providing the underlying broadcasting infrastructure.

If not, then how do they do it?

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

I agree with Craig here. I also agree with John, though. Yes, offering the right kind of content FOTA makes ALL of the difference. But this does not negate what John said. You do not see in the UK, for example, that DVB-T and its exclusively SD content is being yanked away. That would be unacceptable. You cannot ignore the legacy.