[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 18:19:31 -0400

John A. Limpert wrote:

> If someone nuked the local TV channels, it would probably be
> several days
> before I noticed that fact, and I watch a fair amount of television
> programming. I can't say that I would shed many tears for
> them. It certainly
> wouldn't cause me to cancel my cable subscription.

Unfortunately, this doesn't really prove much. For instance,
if someone nuked the all cable and DBS networks, my only worry
would be from the radioactive fallout. I'd never miss either
of those media, myself. Doesn't prove anything, though.

My brother-in-law also claimed that he didn't miss the local
broadcast channels when he first bought his DBS subscription.
But now that he gets local into local, he sort of changed his
tune.

The only thing that matters is trends across the whole
marketplace. The shows that grab national attention are still
not the local yokel city council or PTA meetings, cooking
shows, or old prime time TV reruns. People still read hard
copy newspapers, in part because it's easier to do while
riding the bus to work or while munching on Corn Flakes,
than to deal with a lap-top and a wireless link. And CNN
coverage is not the best source of TV news by a long shot.