[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:21:50 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> >Don't think that's realistic. DBS and cable will continue to have
> >a lot more spectrum than OTA, so it's hard to see how OTA can
> >provide the same level of program choice. Not to mention the
> >reception problems that are sometimes easiest to solve with either
> >cable or DBS, no matter what modulation you care to use.
>
> Your contention is not valid in the emerging world of digital
> distribution.
>
> Yes cable has more "local spectrum" than DBS. So how has DBS managed
> to capture nearly 25% of the homes that formerly subscribed to cable?

Was I comparing cable to DBS? Or was I comparing cable and DBS to
OTA distribution?

> And broadcasters are the most constrained in terms of available
> spectrum. Unfortunately they are ALSO the most wasteful of the
> spectrum they control.

Which was my point. Cable and DBS will continue to have an edge
because they will continue to provide more options, EVEN IF the
service providers need to make these options available a la
carte. If you add in recording devices to make better use of
the spectrum you have, cable and DBS will continue to have the
edge. They too are broadcast systems, so they can use these
devices too, and will have that many more program choices to
record.

> And you are completely wrong about the inability to reach
> many homes
> with properly modulated DTV signals. This is ONLY a factor of
> economics.

As opposed to what, for example? What isn't only a matter of
economics? In many cases, offering an OTA signal will just not
be practical, where either cable or DBS are the clear choice.
Rural locations are one example. Others would be difficult
locations such as you see in Pittsburgh, for example, with
homes down in deep, narrow valleys.

Now, an arm-waving individual will talk about using gap fillers
to solve all problems. But the reality is that it costs money
to locate and maintain all these facilities, and at some point
other solutions make a lot more sense.