[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:40:18 -0400

Bert wrote:
>>I don't see this. If each major network transmits 3
>>program streams instead of one, even if each
>>individual stream gets smaller viewership, overall
>>the network might easily get a larger OTA audience.

Craig replied:
> How does this expand the viewing options for the consumer? It is
> still just a handful of companies exploiting their archives. What
> viewers get in the UK and Germany is improved choice.

I don't think Bert's point was that consumers got expanded viewing options.
The point, I believe, was that the consumer got expanded *free* viewing
options, and *broadcasters* might easily get an expanded audience.  The
loser, of course, would be cable and DBS.

However, as I continue to marvel at the ease that "cable" networks can crank
out 5 different versions of a channel (The fleet of Discovery channels, the
several Disney Channels, etc.,) I find it very hard to believe that a new
version of a Discovery channel, a National Geographic Channel, an all-news
channel, a cartoon channel, etc. that could be offered exclusively to
broadcasters is an impossibility.

How many times have I seen essentially the same program originate as a Nova
migrate to a Discovery Channel program.

John Shutt