[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:37:19 -0400

At 9:14 AM -0400 9/9/04, Monty Solomon wrote:
>WGBH, the Boston PBS station, offers programming via the DTV spectrum
>(cable and OTA) which is not available via their VHF/UHF spectrum.
>
>Excerpt from
>   http://www.wgbh.org/digital/
>
>   Now there are more ways than ever to enjoy your WGBH favorites!
>   We're seizing the digital revolution to offer you more - more choice,
>   more convenience, more channels!
>
>   If you subscribe to Comcast Digital Cable, you can access our full
>   expanded menu. If you have a digital tuner in your TV set or in a
>   set-top box, you can tune in to WGBH World, WGBH Create, and 'GBH
>   Kids. And you'll find WGBH 2 and 44 just where you always have.

>http://www.wgbh.org/digital/faq

Thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately, most commercial
broadcasters cannot do the same because of restrictions on their
"rebroadcast rights." Providing more access points to the programming
that your network carries (or to syndicated programming that your
station runs), is IMHO a very good use of the new digital spectrum.
This is especially true in a world with EPGs and PVRs, which allows
you to cache a program that is recommended, after it has aired the
first time. The networks and commercial broadcasters typically  must
pay for each time the program is aired.