[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:15:11 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> The FCC, in it's second periodic review of the Digital
> Television transition, has eliminated the rules requiring
> simulcasting the programming on a station's analog channel
> on it's digital channel.

Because they have seen no evidence of OTA broadcasters using
their two channels as independent program streams for
increased revenues. And because they have evidence of the
simulcast rule "impeding the distribution of HD content to
broadcasters"? I don't get that last part.

Not sure what this is about, but it doesn't seem like carte
blanche for broadcasters to use their transitional extra
6 MHz as just more spectrum. If they do, it looks like the
FCC will clamp down again. My sense of this is that the FCC
likes to abolish rules that seem to be unnecessary.