[opendtv] Re: 20040921 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:57:25 -0400

Mark Aitken wrote:

> > Perhaps EDTV would also solve the problem, just
> > above that threshold, but TV transmissions that
> > want to get beyond NTSC or SDTV quality might as
> > well jump right to HDTV.
>
> You are (of course) paying the difference for all
> americans? Might as well, it's not "really" that
> big of a cost difference, right?

Mark, only if "all Americans" are transmitting TV.
Which they are not, of course.

The viewer doesn't need to buy HDTV, but what I
said above is that the *transmission* might as
well jump straight to HDTV. The viewer would buy
whatever quality level he cares about, in part
as a function of the screen size.

It makes no sense in a broadcast system to try
to optimize the transmission mode to any one
display. The only reason to reduce transmission
quality, that makes any sense to me, is because
the station might want to use bits for other
streams. Other than that, once the production
chain and the distribution chain is HDTV, might
as well use it.