[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:30:44 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

inline ...

> Tom,
>
> The idea of the simulcast rule was to ensure that people could comfortably
> switch to digital television without losing their current programming.

That makes some sense but I still really don't think it is a large
factor.  The content will go where it sells except for some political
manipulations, mostly threats.

> Without a simulcast rule, the DTV channel can be treated as a second channel
> with separate unique programming from the NTSC, and will make it harder
> politically to ever turn of NTSC.

Yes it can, but I don't buy the implication.

> DTV can hardly be called a replacement for NTSC if it is not required to
> duplicate what is on NTSC.

That does not logically follow, and need no refutation.

The period we are in can hardly be called a
> transition if you can't get the same thing in both places (analog and
> digital.)

ditto

   If the content is not identical, it is dual broadcasting, not a
> transition.

ditto, I think that is just semantics.

  DTV has now become a premium service, not a replacement
> service.

DTV will probably be a mix of both, and rightly so.  I'd let it happen.

- Tom  (but still a proud member of the AVS Forum crowd)