[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:47:38 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Here was the CEA's response to the NAB/MSTV's Request
> for Quote last June for affordable ATSC to NTSC
> converter boxes.  You tell me what the problem is.

I think we've covered both bases on this list recently: the broadcaster
angle and the CE vendor angle. The CEA, IMO, is certainly correct when
it says this:

"'We suggest broadcasters focus their resources on promoting OTA
broadcasting, rather than trying to confuse the situation and delay a
cut-off date,' said Shapiro."

However, this:

"This publicity stunt is novel considering that no one before has
suggested any problem with creating a relatively simple digital to
analog converter box."

is a load of you-know-what. No one suggested any problems? Egad.

And the very simple fact remains: I can't buy up-to-date receivers that
I need, even though they exist, perform better, and cost less than those
I am forced to be satisfied with. I can't even buy any type of DVDR
whatever, inadequate or otherwise.

I think the RFQ was exactly the sort of thing broadcasters SHOULD be
pursuing. Because clearly, broadcasters can't be expected to promote
something that doesn't work well, and no one can possibly suggest with a
straight face that Gen 1-3 ATSC receivers were adequate. So broadcaters
have to act just like a car company acts when it creates a new car for
which no adequate tires exist.

On my way to work today, I read another stupid article on the Wash Post
about HDTV. Again, no mention of OTA as being an obvious, and free,
source of HDTV programming. Just who do broadcasters think they need to
rely on to make this information public knowledge?