[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 20:35:58 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

>Does anyone have any problem with my cross posting quotes
>from this thread on AV Science Forum or elsewhere?

No problem here. I don't follow those other forums, but anything to get to
the bottom of this would be nice.

>I do not believe broadcasters feel they depend upon OTA
>very much anymore, with or without functional tires.  Of
>course, this will be a mistake since if it becomes obvious
>OTA in ATSC form is unnecessary then the broadcasters
>will have trouble showing any value added.

Exactly. Which means that OTA users, and there's a reasonably high
percentage of us, are sort of on our own. The businesses don't seem to care.

Reminds me of George Bush Sr's campaign for a second term of office. To me,
and I later found out also to members of the press, he *seemed* completely
uninterested. He had had tremendous public support, something like 75
percent approval rating just one year prior, and then lost it all from
appearing so blase about everything. During the debates with Clinton, I
truly believed he did not want to win. That's exactly how I now perceive OTA
broadcasters to be.

Does a business that gives the perception of being uninterested deserve to
stay in business? Should they be given special concessions?

And then there's the CE vendors to puzzle over, as we have been doing.

>Because nobody feels it justified to put R&D or marketing money
>into standalone ATSC STB's?

You've made this argument before, Tom, but the fact is, they already make
STBs with those advanced chips. Just not for the OTA-only market. At least
one company does, LG. So it's not like there's a lot of development to be
done. And other companies, like Digital Stream, could replace at least some
of the guts of their boxes with better and cheaper stuff from, for instance,
ST, LG, Micronas, ATI. Reduce the cost, allowing them to increase their
profit and/or reduce price. Increase performance, promising even more
increased sales. The lesson Radio Shack taught, but apparently didn't learn,
with its Accurian.

Perhaps the excuse is that bare bones STBs would compete against a CE
company's integrated sets? What about PVRs and DVDRs? They woudn't cut into
integrated set sales. Does anyone know of a single ATSC DVDR on the market,
obsolete or otherwise? I haven't seen a single one.

For ATSC PVRs, there's the old LG PVR unit. And I've found, on line only, a
Sony DHGHDD250. Don't know anything about it, not carried by the obvious
stores, and not advertized in any of the media I follow. Or there are
roll-your-own PVR/PC solutions.

So that's why this repeated refrain about "should have gone DVB-T" sounds so
hollow. You can't fix a broken bone by administering cough syrup.