[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:49:15 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

>What fix? The closest thing to a fix was the 5th gen prototype
>and it was marginal with NO possibility of mobile and iffy portable.

There's plenty of possibility for mobile. You yourself have seen prototypes
that have proven many of your previous theories about 8-VSB to be wrong. To
track a fast changing echo quickly enough for vehicular travel will take
power, but if we're talking about reception in cars, this might not be a big
obstacle. And further miniaturization and other efforts in CMOS power usage
will also help.

And besides, no one is saying you can't keep fighting the battle for COFDM.
Just wondering why in the interim, we're still constained to ancient
designs, when newer AND CHEAPER solutions exist.

It's preposterous to argue that the CE vendors can't market the updated
product profitably, when these same vendors continue to market their
obsolete and more expensive designs. Or is there some obscure reason that CE
vendors PREFER to lose money on old designs than maybe, at very least, lose
less money on newer and cheaper solutions? Obviously, I am missing something
very fundamental.

>There is however a NEW rumor of a fix for 8-VSB as usual 2-4 years out.

What's the point, if the fixes go in some black hole somewhere, with nothing
but ridiculous excuses why they disappear.