[opendtv] Re: Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:08:39 -0400

At 9:39 AM -0700 6/12/05, Kon Wilms wrote:
>I can only sit back and laugh.
>
>A month ago Craig was telling us how much better the Apple hardware was,
>and how the Mac Mini's 1.4Ghz processor ran circles around Intel
>processors.

Partially true.

Apple does provide superior hardware, especially in terms of packaging.

I Did not say that the processor in the Mac Mini runs circles around
Intel processors. The last time I said something like this it was
true, but that was several years ago when the clock speed differences
were less dramatic, and the use of Altivec gave Apple a performance
advantage.

Times change.

>Now he is telling us that Apple is going to create some sort of magical
>packaging and logic chips (he has got to be joking) of Intel hardware
>and standard OTS components.

All I am saying is that Apple will be building Macs, not PCs and they
will offer advantage over Intel based PCs. I expect that these
advantages will become more clear when we actually get to see what
Intel will be providing when the switch occurs.

>Macs will now be 'your choice of <100 'approved' hardware pieces (gee,
>Microsoft calls this Windows Certified Hardware - same thing) for a low
>cost, and a $1000 bezel with apple imprint.

Give it up Kon.

And all cars are exactly the same too.

Apple is not going to build PC clones, although the platform may well
run Microsoft bloatcode.