[opendtv] Re: First look at ATSC HD Broadcast

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:00:41 -0400

At 11:54 AM -0400 6/12/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>Well, I can decode 5.1 AC-3 audio on my laptop, but I can only output 2
>channels.

And your point is?

As I said, handling audio has been consumed by Moore's Law. Handling
I/O is a product design issue that is driven by applications and
customer requirements.

The same is true for handing HD versus SD. The average PC display is
still 17-19 inch, and it was not long ago that it was 15 inch. The
added cost to include an HD capable display and support for 5.1
channel audio is currently reserved for some workstations, and for
media centers that are optimized for this application.

In a few years, I expect that HD support will be commonplace. It's
just a matter of riding the Moore's Law curve.