[opendtv] Re: Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:10:34 -0400

At 3:24 PM -0400 6/8/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>I managed a retail store that was primarily a Mac dealer for 12 years
>and after hearing Apple beat the PowerPC drum (or rather, anti-Intel
>drum) so long and so hard, this announcement just seems like the most
>hypocritical claptrap I've heard in my lifetime.
>
>It's going mean boon or bust for Apple in the personal computer
>business.  I'm leaning toward bust.

This move has little to do with the Personal Computer business.
That's old news.

This is about Apple competing in the digital media appliance
marketplace. Why do you think they chose the Mac Mini as the first
computer to get the Intel chips?

Its going to be Apple versus the game machines from Sony and Microsoft.

I'm thinking that this is going to be a good strategy, as Apple has
already amply demonstrated with their success in the digital music
market.