[opendtv] Re: 20050926 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:45:25 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Nah, I don't need to say it.  But if I did it would
> consist of being able to switch to QPSK on the fly
> and transmitting a single SD service using about 5
> Mbps.

This solution has two problems: (1) it still suffers
from the digital cliff, which analog does not, and
(2) QPSK is not available in either 8-VSB or E8-VSB.
So basically, a non-starter.

;)

But that aside, I was being somewhat facetious.
Hurricanes or no hurricanes, it is hard for me to
buy the notion that reception of DTT, using rabbit
ears or loop antenna on top of the TV set, in one
particular location in the US, should become the
gold standard to be used before the DTT transition
can be completed.

Let me give you a perfectly viable counter example.

Jay Cordoba's brother, who isn't a list participant,
without a lot of fanfare, managed to receive DTT in
his Sterling VA house, with indoor antenna, from up
to 52 mile range of the transmitter. And all this
with a 2nd and a 3rd gen receiver (both Motorola).

So instead of making the right answer to every
situation DVB-T, why not consider the possibility
that even in a hurricane, even with all local TV
offline, perhaps people with TVs and power available
can still receive news, sitcoms, and their favorite
reality shows from adjacent markets?

In fact, in terms of spectrum for emergency crews,
this is a far better solution than any other I have
seen. Make most or all of the local TV spectrum
available to emergency crews, allow local TVs to
make use of whatever local transmitters survived and
other stations within range, and then you can
rationalize that ending the DTT transition ASAP is
good for emergency situations. If you must.