[opendtv] Re: 20050926 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: BenWebber@xxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:30:19 -0400

Craig wrote:

>  The logic is simple and clear. As I mentioned above,
>  a portion of this group is out-of-play because they
>  are simply saying NO to TV, or severely restricting
>  the amount of TV that they allow family members to
>  watch.

Bert replied:

> And what percentage is that?

Craig responded:

> Unfortunately, there is no authoritative study on this.
> I have seen stories that suggest the number is in the
> range of 3-5 million homes. So I would guess that it
> is in the range of 15 to 40% of the laggards.

FWIW, (anecdotal evidence, I realize, and therefore unreliable) I
personally know two families that fall into the category Craig
describes. My brother, for example, a computer scientist who lives in a
small town in Illinois, owns a TV and watches boatloads of movies and
documentaries on DVD, but watches neither cable nor DBS nor OTA. He
doesn't even have an antenna connected to his TV. He couldn't care less
about the DTT transition. He simply disapproves of all forms of
commercial television and doesn't want his kids watching it. (He does
subscribe to DSL broadband.)

He says the only thing he misses is tornado warnings, so he keeps one of
those weather-alert radio receivers running 24/7.

I don't know how many people are just saying no to TV, but they're
definitely out there.

Regards,

B.

Ben Webber               Managing Director
Psychofish, LLC          ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
180 N Stetson Ave #810     312-819-4042(v)
Chicago, IL 60601 USA      312-819-4041(f)