[opendtv] Re: 20050926 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:18:33 -0400

Cliff wrote:

> Bert, please supply a list of everyone you can find
> who can get ATSC "perfectly" with an indoor antenna
> from 52 miles away.

As reported by Jay Cordova on this list, from his
brother's house in Sterling VA. No special tower, nor
does he live in a high rise apartment facing in an
ideal direction.

> I happen to be 52 miles from Baltimore and I have an
> indoor antenna, a Silver Sensor, and I can't get
> ATSC with it even standing on my roof, much less
> inside the house.
>
> It takes a 7 element UHF yagi with a corner
> reflector 20 feet off the ground and then reception
> is only partly reliable when the weather is favorable.

Is that the antenna that's facing toward Phildelphia
instead of Baltimore, i.e. in the opposite direction,
from which you cannot get all of Baltimore NTSC
stations, and most come with weak snowy signal?

With NTSC, most people who can get a "watchable" TV
signal indoors opt for an outdoor antenna, simply
because the indoor antenna is not good enough for
regular viewing. I would be among those. That's
some 13 miles from the local towers.