[obol] Re: Green tail ID help

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 12:40:09 -0800

Jack Williamson's "slide show" version of the photos is very helpful --
you can get an impression of the "jizz" of the bird as it preens.

After seeing this I agree that a juvenile Bullock's Oriole makes more
sense than anything else I can think of, apart from the lack of evident
wingbars and very white throat and face. I suppose we could write those
features off as a function of the photo resolution and harsh lighting.
The date (end of June) is reasonable for young Bullock's to be out of
the nest.

Joel

Craig Miller wrote:

I agree with Maitreya that this bird is consistent with an immature
Bullock's Oriole. Nothing else makes much sense to me.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis