[obol] Re: Green tail ID help

  • From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • To: gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 20:44:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

I'll begin by stating that personally I think the suggestion this is a hoax is
highly impolite and uncalled for.

Here are some thoughts toward an i.d.:

1. What is the bush (and therefore how big are the leaves?) The branching
pattern and appearance of the bark reminds me of Twinberry, or possibly the
landscaping shrub Wygelia. Most of the valley-bottom dogwoods have straighter
shoots. I cannot think of a shrub looking like this with small enough leaves to
make the bird mockingbird sized.

2. The pictures look like they were taken midday in bright sun. The color of
the larger stems looks really washed out which makes me unwilling to trust the
color of the bird's back. It could be grayish rather than blue.

3. So what warblers and warbler-sized birds have green or olive-colored tails?
I came up with 3 that IMO are not too too far from looking like this bird: One
thing to remember is that by 29 June there might be HY warblers around in the
seldom-illustrated juvenal plumage, which is generally lost within a month or
two, and which can be quite confusing. Common Yellowthroat, MacGillivray's
Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, and my favorite, Nashville Warbler. In the photos
with the head turned to the left, the color of the lower part of the face does
remind me of a young or female yellowthroat, but not much of the rest of the
bird looks right.

I do not have a good sense of the variation in juv. MacGillivray's, but it
would be good to hear from someone who works with them?

The main problem with Nashville Warbler is the apparent lack of an eyering, but
the photos most likely to show that have a twig across the face.

Anyway my two cents

Wayne

From: jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 19:07:27 -0800
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx

I have no idea what that is….Am I having a brain freeze? What I see is a rather
bright green tail, some blue on the wing, a back and crown that are dull
greenish with indistinct streaks, and a white face and throat, a white ventral
area, a dark eye, and a fairly thin bill.

I also don't recognize the vegetation.

Where is La Center Bottoms? Near La Center, Washington? or somewhere exotic?

Are you playing a little joke on OBOL?

Jeff Gilligan

On Nov 1, 2015, at 6:30 PM, glen < gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

I took this photo on June 29th at La Center Bottoms. Sorry, not great quality.
This bird was low in the bush (maybe 2' above the ground) at the extreme range
of my lens. Watched it for about 30 seconds, most of the time with its back to
me, when its twin joined it, coming up from below for about 5 seconds. Then
they both flew into the grass underneath the bush, not to be seen again. Long
green tail, bluish gray back from top of head to tail, darker on wings,
completely white neck and underneath. Gray bill, black eye. Hard to tell if
there was any eyebrow or markings around eye. Please see link below for pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95273919@N05/22071545334/in/dateposted-public/

I'm an avid but novice birder so any help with identification would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen Taylor
Newberg