[obol] Re: Green tail ID help

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 19:07:27 -0800

I have no idea what that is….Am I having a brain freeze? What I see is a
rather bright green tail, some blue on the wing, a back and crown that are dull
greenish with indistinct streaks, and a white face and throat, a white ventral
area, a dark eye, and a fairly thin bill.

I also don't recognize the vegetation.

Where is La Center Bottoms? Near La Center, Washington? or somewhere exotic?

Are you playing a little joke on OBOL?

Jeff Gilligan

On Nov 1, 2015, at 6:30 PM, glen <gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I took this photo on June 29th at La Center Bottoms. Sorry, not great
quality. This bird was low in the bush (maybe 2' above the ground) at the
extreme range of my lens. Watched it for about 30 seconds, most of the time
with its back to me, when its twin joined it, coming up from below for about
5 seconds. Then they both flew into the grass underneath the bush, not to be
seen again. Long green tail, bluish gray back from top of head to tail,
darker on wings, completely white neck and underneath. Gray bill, black eye.
Hard to tell if there was any eyebrow or markings around eye. Please see link
below for pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95273919@N05/22071545334/in/dateposted-public/

I'm an avid but novice birder so any help with identification would be most
appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen Taylor
Newberg