[obol] Re: Green tail ID help

  • From: glen <gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 04:21:29 +0000

Definitely saw twoidentical birds. Unfortunately, the second was up and back
down before I could get the camera up and focused. The green tail is what I
first noticed, then how white the lower body was. It was about the size of a
towhee. I first thought it may be a green-tailed towhee but the colors were all
wrong except for the tail. The wings were darker than the body, more of a dark
gray.
Joined the OBOL website recently and just remembered these photos tonight after
looking through some old ones I took from earlier in the year.
Glen

Subject: Re: [obol] Green tail ID help
From: jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 20:04:27 -0800
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the follow-up Glen. Are you sure you saw 2 birds that looked like
that? How big was it? Compared to a Song Sparrow? To an American Robin?

Did you see the green tail at the time, or just subsequently in the photos?
How about the blue on the wing?

Jeff

On Nov 1, 2015, at 7:55 PM, glen <gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Not a joke, I'm
the one who had a brain freeze and just tonight uploaded these photos. Taken in
La Center, WA. Just uploaded all five photos I took. Here's a link to a pic of
the entire bush:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/95273919@N05/22670767486/in/dateposted-public/
Didn't look like any common yellowthroat I've ever seen. As you can see the
tail moves with the bird. Glad I'm not the only one who was stumped. Just wish
I had better quality photos and details.
Thanks,Glen Taylor

From: jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 19:07:27 -0800
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx

I have no idea what that is….Am I having a brain freeze? What I see is a
rather bright green tail, some blue on the wing, a back and crown that are dull
greenish with indistinct streaks, and a white face and throat, a white ventral
area, a dark eye, and a fairly thin bill.
I also don't recognize the vegetation.
Where is La Center Bottoms? Near La Center, Washington? or somewhere exotic?
Are you playing a little joke on OBOL?

Jeff Gilligan

On Nov 1, 2015, at 6:30 PM, glen <gtaylor22@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:I took this
photo on June 29th at La Center Bottoms. Sorry, not great quality. This bird
was low in the bush (maybe 2' above the ground) at the extreme range of my
lens. Watched it for about 30 seconds, most of the time with its back to me,
when its twin joined it, coming up from below for about 5 seconds. Then they
both flew into the grass underneath the bush, not to be seen again. Long green
tail, bluish gray back from top of head to tail, darker on wings, completely
white neck and underneath. Gray bill, black eye. Hard to tell if there was any
eyebrow or markings around eye. Please see link below for pic:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/95273919@N05/22071545334/in/dateposted-public/
I'm an avid but novice birder so any help with identification would be most
appreciated.
Thanks,
Glen TaylorNewberg