[ncolug] Re: Ugh, I feel pain coming....

  • From: tech4u <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:20:20 -0500

Another firewall you might be interested in is Zerowall.

Cory

--
Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they
do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand. -- Putt's Law

The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into
the impossible. -- Arthur C. Clarke

On 2/9/16 11:28 PM, Rob Gibson wrote:

Statistics be damned; I am just thrilled to have a choice to use open-source software and will choose it anywhere I can.

At work, I am forced to use an OS on my laptop as some of the tools I use require the OS support. Given that restriction, I use primarily Chrome and Firefox for browsing, plenty of Putty for SSH, and I even have the team using the fantastic PHPIPAM web application for tracking the dozens of subnets and hundreds of IP addresses in use.

Personally, I use open-source exclusively for all of my fixed computing. There is nothing that I do, from an application perspective, that REQUIRES proprietary technologies. The only exclusions to that are both related to video drivers. At different times, I have been forced to use nVidia's binary drivers for my video card, and I have Flash installed to watch Youtube until they can get the HTML5 player right.

I have had an open-source phone system for years, use a Linux Kodi distribution for my home theater, a Linux-based file server, and multiple virtual machines. My latest experiment is running a virtual radio station (for private use in the house with my personal music collection. It uses Sourcefabric's Airtime software. My router runs DD-WRT, and I am considering an upgrade in the future to a pfSense or OPNSense-powered router again.

To pin down a number, if you exclude my work laptop, I have 0% Windows in the house at all. I even gave up on using my old Windows XP VMs; having a toddler means the old games I used to play on XP have been forgotten.

Rob

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Larry DiGioia <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Bravo, Mike - you did indeed catch the weak point in my quoted
    statistics. What Jim quoted below is exactly what I meant. I don't
    much
    care what people use at home or in their pocket. (And my Nexus 7
    doesn't
    fit in a pocket.) Last but not least: a laptop is absolutely a
    desktop.

    --
    "The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."

                                      William James

    Subject field.