[ncolug] Re: Ugh, I feel pain coming....

  • From: Mike <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 20:33:31 -0500

On 02/04/2016 10:29 AM, Kory Pounds wrote:

Everyone,

Here is the last group of facts that I am giving you guys on win-blows 10, then I won't talk about it anymore. Like I said before, I want to slowly learn Ubuntu by virtualizing it first on my Win 7, as long as I can get Win 7 to last.

Here you go:

http://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

Yes, I've read that one a couple of times at least. It may be a bit on the extreme side. I really can't disagree with most of it, or say that I've verified it's all true.

Anyway I've dug a bit more...

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

Right from the horses mouth. During the summer the download was only the annoying icon, easily removed.
Later the optional update via Windows update, never downloaded unless you explicitly told it too.
Feb. 1 the magic day! Changed from optional to recommended. With default Windows update settings you will download the Windows 10 upgrade file. Wanted or not.

At this point you are given the option of installing it or not. You still have downloaded 3+ GB of files, wanted or not...

If you do choose to install it there is a 31 day window to "try" it or revert back. I'd fathom a guess and say reverting back is going to equal eventually having to reload anything previous.

Bottom line for me, my images do not have any of the files downloaded except the one that determines eligibility. Changes made to my master machines will prevent anything from being downloaded. That is until MS changes it from recommended to important...

Mike

Subject field.