[ncolug] Re: Ugh, I feel pain coming....

  • From: Mike <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 07:32:14 -0500

On 02/04/2016 05:39 AM, Larry DiGioia wrote:

Windows 10 is automatically downloaded (about 3GB) to every machine that is eligible. The exception was domain-joined machines.This has been true since July. It also produced an optional "Windows update" as a method of upgrading. For the past 6 months, non-domain users have received annoying pop-ups to "go ahead and upgrade."

On Monday, the domain-joined computers were no longer excluded, and the "optional" update became "recommended." As for bandwidth, the download happened a long time ago on most computers.

To the best of my knowledge optional updates has never been downloaded until they were explicitly told to be installed. Recommended updates by default were downloaded and installed by default MS settings...

I believe that is the change that is prompting all the noise right now.

Wasn't there exceptions if you were on VL vs OEM or retail licenses? A few months back an update to 10 was uninstalling users software for various reasons. This to my understanding wasn't to happen to VL installs. The whole thing just smells bad...

Mike