[modeleng] Re: Swarf!

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:46:39 -0000

Hi All,

If anybody realised this syndrom is out and about in the real world of
designer idiots being let lose with computers and believing what they come
up with because they havn't got the basic skill or knowledge.

All you have to do is remember the millenium bridge over the Thames which
had the basic fault of suspension type bridges, in that they will sway and
if you get the harmonics wrong they will tend to sway even more, which it
did violently. This fault has been well known by bridge designers since the
1930's but the idiot who designed that bridge didn't.
 The other one was the railway tunnel at Hatfield which was being built by
the cut and cover technique to fill in a cutting so that a Supermarket could
be built on the top. When they started putting the soil back on top and
before they got halfway up the sides  it collapsed.
The amazing thing is that in both of these instances nobody was apparently
held to blame. Probably as the design consultants did not want egg on their
faces.

Regards

Clif