[modeleng] Re: Swarf!

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 06:10:06 -0600

> So is this lack of numeracy the reason that the kids don't do well in a
> machine shop course?>
> And is it perhaps why there aren't that many younger people entering model
> engineering?>
> Peter Chadwick
> Swindon

Peter, out of every new class that attends the shop school, there are a few
students that are good at math, but as a general rule, they are rather slow.
Son gets pretty exasperated at times as he cannot understand how they got
this far in high school without knowing anything other than sports. There is
a small CNC mill in the class room and since it is computer programmed, the
kids do pretty well with it as most of them have access to computers at
home.  I think the world is going to hell in a handbasket except for the
Chinese who will soon own everything as they will have the smarts while our
kids get dumbed down to the level of the slowest student.

Jesse in Tennessee USA