[modeleng] Re: Swarf!

  • From: "dud.one" <dud.one@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:34:30 -0000

I could not agree more so , my son who is just about to leave school in six
months time here in the UK , I asked him where's your items you made in
woodwork and metalwork you know Table , Chair , Toolbox , Adjustable Spanner
, Tool Clamp etc   ( sorry wrong it's called Technology ), I have not seen
them , just joking I said " do they not teach you any skills you will need
in the real world when you leave " he reply'd as much as I would like to ,
we are not allowed to use the Lathe and only allowed to use the pillar drill
& grinder when we are supervised , in case we have an accident , and I have
not seen the lathe used in all the years I have been at school , and the
brazing hearth is not even connected up to gas " .

so are we breeding a society of " I can't do it " because I don't have the
skills and it's too dangerous , or i don't have the qualification and the 2
day training course to use the photocopier , or will we ever teach kid's
these days to be self sufficient and learn , no wonder skills are being lost
never to return ....

oh and forgot to say my Son's School is 7th ranking in the country by " Her
Majesty's Inspectors " only 3 month ago and is classed as a Technology
College

wait until he meets the opposite sex and marries , and she ask's him to put
a shelf up or change a light bulb !!!! ..

Dave
Hartlepool UK